Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brain Selznick

The Invention of Hugo Cabret
by Brain Selznick
Reviewed by Molleigh R.
5 (Amazing)

The book is about an orphaned boy who works on the clock in Paris in the year 1931. He gets caught stealing, which opens an adventure where he meets an old director who is the grumpy man who works in a toy shack.

I liked the part were the boy gets the automaton he had worked so hard on working. The book's pictures were done really well and stand out. The author writes with lots of detail and makes it look like the characters are real. This is like no other book I read before. No wonder it is a Caldecott medal winner! I really liked every last word. Every chapter ending left me in suspense. I even learned a bit about the 1930s.

I recommend this book to 4th graders and up. If your're doing a Paris report, information in here may help. It has a really happy ending, too. I loved this book, and you will too.